Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dressing (Stuffing) from the Recipe book of Grandma Peterson

Dressing for Turkey
Brown and crumble one pound bulk pork sausage. (I just use a tube of Jimmy Dean.)
Add enough butter to sausage fat to make one cup. (I just add one cube of butter. It might be less than a cup but seems to be enough.)
Add 3/4 cup chopped onion and
1 1/2 cups chopped celery. (I know I use way more than that. I chop one large onion and several stalks of celery.)
Cook and stir until onion is tender. In a deep bowl, put 9 to 10 cups bread cubes. (I usually put out home pride or some such wheat bread and let it go stale. This time I used cubes in a bag. That worked well.) Stir this all around.

Add 2 tsp. salt, 1 tbs. poultry seasoning, 1/2 tsp. pepper and toss. (I feel confident I use less salt, and more poultry seasoning and pepper.) Sprinkle over it 1 cup of chicken broth. (You can use a can, or put 1 bullion cube in one cup boiling water.) Taste that and add seasoning if needed. (I like to make this the day before, then put it in a casserole in the oven the day of.)

No comments:

Post a Comment